Thursday, July 29, 2010

I TOOK A WALK TODAY...



…in the prairie at Prairie Pond Woods, where the butterflies this year are indescribably abundant! Even when I walk out onto the front porch or into the garage, they flutter up from the floor like swarming flies. 






The two butterfly bushes flanking the back deck are consistently dripping with 15-20 tiger, zebra, and black swallowtails, frittilaries and skippers in each. Every time I take a photograph, I’m disappointed because there is no way to capture them all nectaring and flitting about. 






And the prairie looks like a major air show with butterflies, dragonflies, damselflies and bees darting from flower cluster to flower spike and back again. This season is dominated by Tiger Swallowtails According to my phenology journal, last year it was Monarchs…at least at Prairie Pond Woods. And earlier this summer it was Mourning Cloaks, one of my favorite butterflies with their black, yellow and blue coloration.






Many species of butterflies will continue on into the early fall, and some even in to the late fall, so there is plenty of time to see this amazing display. There are still 3 women’s retreats scheduled for 2010, one in September, October and November. 






And don’t forget...Prairie Pond Woods is available for individuals and couples for reflective or creative retreats. Book all 27 acres for a day, a weekend or a week! 




1 comment:

Ferree Bowman Hardy said...

Your photos are beautiful! Those butterflies sure do appreciate the native plants you're providing for them! And I appreciate the Facebook badge you applied here--you inspired me to do the same, and it worked! (Yes, I was shocked).