Tuesday, May 15, 2012

GRAY PETALTAIL DRAGONFLY















As I was approaching a nest box that I knew had chickadee eggs in it, this large dragonfly flew past my face and landed right underneath the box. I had been trying to photograph the juvenile phoebe that had JUST fledged, so fortunately I had my camera with me.  










My first guess after looking at a field guide was a gray petaltail (Tachopteryx thoreyi) but I had some doubts due to the patterning.  After posting it on Facebook, Adams Co. naturalist, John Howard confirmed the best guess.  My confusion about the patterning is due to this being a teneral dragonfly, meaning it had recently emerged from its shell or exuvia.  This is a first species for me at Prairie Pond Woods!










Gray Petaltails are rather uncommon, found in only 18 out of 88 Ohio counties, as their preferred habitats are seeps found in woodlands.  No more than 50 feet from where it landed is a spring source, or seep, at the edge of both the woods and the prairie. Perfect habitat, I'd say.  And there is plenty of mud and leaf litter there for the larvae, which  don't require total submersion in water like most larvae. I just planted some swamp milkweed, iris versicolor, marsh marigold and lobelia down there, so I'll be keeping my eye on the area.  I hope to see this beautiful dragonfly in its mature coloration soon.



 

No comments: