Wednesday, June 27, 2018

End of Spring Bird Tally

In April and early May it's all about the songs of courtship here in southern Ohio. Now, late May it seems to be all about the fighting to defend breeding territory and resources. Males are diving and chasing one another, while some females are already feeding babies and training fledglings.







In northern Ohio...Magee Marsh to be exact...birders were still getting good sightings as migrants tank up on caterpillars and insects in the surrounding wetlands and forests for their journeys even further north. I am experiencing a tinge of regret that I didn't make a second trip up after going at the end of April before The Biggest Week in American Birding began. The Facebook reports and photos from the boardwalk indicated a convergence of warblers, good weather and good winds. But I wanted to take a beginning birder friend who had never been on the boardwalk before, and not overwhelm her with the crowds that would show up the following weekend. We had a good time together, saw some beautiful warblers, and she got started on her life list.





While I love going to other places where warblers congregate, I love taking my binoculars and camera out at Prairie Pond Woods even more. There is such a comfort knowing which habitat...prairie, pond, woods, thicket or riparia...I can walk to so I can spot the Common Yellowthroat or Scarlet Tanager or Yellow-throated Warbler. No, I don't get some of the sexier warblers, but these birds on my list are like returning friends. Many have probably made the long journey and returned here year after year. That warms my heart. Every spring, when I hear the first song or see the first migrant I always make a point to say hello out loud and welcome them back.













Below is a list (in taxonomic order) I like to tally of the birds that were seen or heard at Prairie Pond Woods this March, April & May 2016. Since I am not always at the retreat, if I hear a bird, I am confident that given enough time I would have seen it...or have seen it other years. For this reason, I am sure I am also missing a few warblers whose songs I am still not familiar enough with to confirm. I've thrown in a photo or two...I am not the best at capturing rapidly moving creatures against the sky or hiding within foliage...so you'll have to use a bit of your imagination!




Great Blue Heron


Black Vulture


Turkey Vulture


Canada Goose


Wood Duck


Cooper's Hawk (who is this Cooper?)


Red-shouldered Hawk


Red-tailded Hawk




 Wild Turkey


American Woodcock


Mourning Dove


Yellow Billed Cuckoo


Barred Owl


Chuck-will'-widow


Whip-poor-Will


Ruby-throated Humming Bird


Belted Kingfisher


Red-bellied Woodpecker


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker


Downy Woodpecker


Hairy Woodpecker


Northern Flicker


Pileated Woodpecker


Eastern Wood Pee-wee


Eastern Phoebe


White-eyed Vireo


Warbling Vireo


Yellow-throated Vireo


Red-eyed Vireo


Blue Jay


American Crow


Tree Swallow


Carolina Chickadee


Tufted Titmouse


White-breasted Nuthatch


Carolina Wren


House Wren


Golden-crowned Kinglet


Ruby-crowned Kinglet


Blue-grey Gnatcatcher


Eastern Bluebird


Swainson's Thrush


Wood Thrush


American Robin


Gray Catbird


Brown Thrasher


Blue-winged Warbler


Northern Parula


Magnolia Warbler*


Cape May




 Yellow-rumped Warbler


Yellow-throated Warbler


Pine Warbler


Prairie Warbler


American Redstart


Worm-Eating Warbler


Ovenbird


Northern Waterthrush


Common Yellowthroat


Hooded Warbler


Yellow-breasted Chat


Scarlet Tanager


Eastern Towhee


American Tree Sparrow




Chipping Sparrow


Field Sparrow


Song Sparrow


White-crowned Sparrow


White-throated Sparrow


Dark-eyed Junco


Northern Cardinal


Rose-breasted Grosbeak


Indigo Bunting


Red-winged Blackbird


Brown-headed Cowbird


Baltimore Oriole


House Finch


American Goldfinch





That's a total of 79 species...well short of the overall 98 species recorded at

Prairie Pond Woods




















No comments: