Wednesday, August 22, 2018

10 THINGS I MISS ABOUT CRAIG...




 1.    Foremost, I miss Craig’s unconditional love for me, which was both romantic and practical. I knew in my heart, because of his actions and his words, that he wanted only my highest good. We told each other we were loved every day. 

2.     I miss the security he brought to my life. I always felt safe with him. If we were apart I knew that if something went wrong, if I couldn’t, he would come take care of it…and never begrudgingly. I’m not ashamed to say that, at times, he was my knight in shining armor.
 

3.  I miss his strength, both emotionally and physically. He was a rock…of good character, spiritual wisdom, faithfulness, and courage. Physically, Craig did not have a ripped body, but he was all muscle (well, not all :), and would lift a car off you if pinned. Many times, he would carry or lift something that seemed impossible…like the lawn mower out of a wet ditch with me still on it! And those powerful hands…wrapping around mine every time we walked together. And most of you can testify about his bear hugs…or handshakes!


 4.    I miss our true companionship (a phrase from a Marc Cohn song that we adopted as our own). We could and would talk for hours with one another about anything and everything. We loved each other’s intellect, and the transparency and vulnerability we cultivated in our marriage.

5.     I miss his examples of loyalty and generosity towards friends, family, work and co-workers, and any organization he was part of. He was truly a faithful man.


6.       I miss the nicknames (new ones practically every week), the notes we left each other, the film quotes, the inside jokes, the silliness that would overtake us at times, the pillow talk, and the “making fun of all the weird people.” (an inside joke)

7.       I miss his kisses – small pecks on the cheek and passionate lip-locks, as he would call them. He was a really good kisser!

 
8.       I miss his “can do” attitude. I now realize he was the fuel behind almost every spark of inspiration either of us had. I will need to learn to be my own incendiary device going forward.

9.       I miss his encouragement. Craig’s full-time job early on was to remind me I was not as deficient as I thought I was. He often verbalized how grateful he was for my gifts and talents…and in the end I began to believe him.


10.   I miss how his mind worked. He taught me new ways to look at things. He was strategic – in everything from buying a refrigerator to playing a board game to voting in a primary election. It’s why he loved baseball I came to understand. He solved problems. He negotiated deals. He built bridges…and never burned a one.


WHAT DO YOU MISS ABOUT HIM?

 

4 comments:

Meg said...

I miss Craig's passion about the things he cared about--you, his work, the Orioles. And also his positive attitude. No matter how bad the Orioles looked on paper, he ALWAYS--without fail--picked them to win the division. As a pessimist, I was the "anti-Craig" and would predict a 5th place finish (in a 5 team division) and he would chide me for it. He was a great man!

Unknown said...

I miss his belly laugh. It made me laugh along every time. I miss his kindness. I experienced his kindness on so many occasions, it still makes me tear up thinking of the many times he was ready and able to help me. He was always ready with an encouraging word. He would also help me think through an issue or a problem and was brilliant at helping me look at it in a different way. He was great at conversation and never seemed too busy to just ask how I was doing even when I knew he was swamped. I miss him...I really, really do.

Deb said...

I miss his ability to tell a story. I miss his sense of humor. I miss his concern for me and what challenges I was having in my life - he was there for me no matter what. He was there for everyone. I miss his laugh and how he lived an exemplary life as a believe4 in Jesus’s Christ. He was one of the great ones.

Lauren Miller said...

I only knew Craig through your posts. . . wish I had known your husband. Your 10 things you miss most was so complimentary to him, you and your relationship. I don't think many people are so fortunate and am so sorry you did not have more time together