Thursday, January 20, 2011

CHEAP BIRD FEEDING WITH THE THREE-B's

Here is a very inexpensive way to feed the birds (or raccoons or possum), and one that fits right in with the landscape, which I find desirable.  I don't mind pottery or wooden bird feeders but the plastic ones just don't quite do it for me (although I do own a mission-style one that I painted black). So if you are looking for an easy-on-the-wallet inside project for the outdoors...here goes:






Take a walk in the woods to find a fallen branch or small tree trunk...10-18 inch long and around 4-6 inches in diameter.
Cut the ends off and screw in a hook at one end.


Drill evenly spaced holes all around the wood.


Rummage through your freezer to find old Bread, Buns or Bagels. Sometimes you can get old bread from stores.  


Heat up the cooking grease you save...rather than throwing it down your drain...and place the three B's in it to soak.  You can cut them up into smaller pieces either before or after the soaking.


When it is below freezing, stuff the bread pieces in the holes with a spoon, let harden and watch for titmices, woodpeckers, Carolina wrens, flickers, chickadees and even a few cardinals at times. 



1 comment:

His Path Through The Wilderness said...

Cindy,

I'd love to try this. Thank you. I don't have a drill or a house, but I'll save the thought in my mind or just ask you if I forget. It'd be funny to hang one somewhere near the dorm. Thank you for this beautiful blog. It is refreshing to the soul.